Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Young in age: Old at heart

(I apologize, as this might be a little bit of a rant on my part.)

To most of the world I'm a college student, which means I go out to raging parties, don't have a care in the world and I'm extremely immature for my age. The world couldn't be more wrong.

I'm a senior in college and I can count on one hand how many parties I've been at that even served alcohol (not including weddings and bachelorette parties). My stress level is through the roof unhealthy because I care too much (ask my doctor, they're concerned) , and even though I tend to joke around a lot, I basically have the mindset of a 50 year-old woman (which my friends find annoying sometimes).




My parents are pushing 70 and my grandparents are in their 90's (so they might not be here much longer). They've taught me so much in my lifetime that I will always be grateful for and never forget. I don't think they'll ever understand how much they mean to me.

There's not a day that goes by that I don't thank the Lord for all I have. My parents raised me right and told me to always be grateful for what I have because someone always has less than me, and I think that  helps keeps me grounded (mostly, anyways). They also taught me to treat everyone with respect, and as I would wish to be treated (anyone else think this is missing in a lot of youth today?).

*(or I'm just getting older)

I can't bend down to pick something up without having to make sure I pick it up correctly or else my back will go out. My age might say that I'm young, but my body always reminds me that I can't do the things I used to do (which is REALLY annoying when you're only 22).

Even though I might not have a lot of "lifetime experience" (as some might put it), I know what it's like (in a sense) to have everything you've ever wanted and lose it in the blink of an eye. It hurt, but I had to keep moving forward. At a young age, I realized if you want anything in life you have to work hard, and even then, you might not get it, but that doesn't mean you should stop trying.

So, yes. I might be young, but that doesn't mean I'm not old at heart. However, just because I'm old at heart, doesn't mean I can't make mistakes, but that's because I made a mistake while trying to improve myself, not because I'm a "dumb college kid".






No comments:

Post a Comment