Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Social media is taken: The presidential campaign

Last night I was watching TV and on came yet another presidential campaign ad for Obama. I rolled my eyes and sighed thinking, "Oh great, I have to listen to another one," but then President Barack Obama came on the television himself.

Almost immediately he had my attention. At the end of the ad a light bulb hit me. Obama is extremely good at being on TV. He is likable and relate-able. Probably the two things that got him the White House in the first place. His PR must LOVE him!

Obama has such a great stage presence and really grabs the attention of a room. Mitt Romney on the other hand has had more bloopers than I can count. His PR people probably aren't paid enough.

However, how does Obama's relate-ability transcend to social media? I think so. Romney's campaign spent millions of dollars for coverage, while Obama managed to be the top news story without spending a dime! Obama did a Reddit and answered questions for about 30 minutes, him and his people responded to Clint Eastwood's funny skit at the Republican convention by releasing a photo of Obama in a chair saying "This seat is taken" (genius) and the White House revealed it's beer recipe (what else would appeal to Americans more than beer!).



I'm not one to typically comment on political campaigns, but I think if last year was any indication, Obama will probably win again. His social media campaign completely paved the way for future presidential elections. Unless Romney pulls off something great, how in the world is he supposed to compete with the man who changed the election forever?

Now, here's some statistics (because we all love statistics don't we?):


1 comment:

  1. I completely agree. I think that Obama has done a great job with social media. And I love to listen to him speak. He really can command a room's attention when he speaks.

    ReplyDelete