Friday, September 21, 2012

The power of social media

When I started this blog, I was quite reluctant, but after recently seeing an interview with internet sensation Jenna Marbles, I'm not so sure if I'm still reluctant. I'm not saying it's for me, but I do believe I'm opening up to it, and I owe that to the story of Marbles.

If you haven't heard of Jenna Marbles, you must be living under a rock! The first video she made that went completely viral (according to her) was her video "How to trick people into thinking you're good looking." (It's videos similar to this that have made Marbles famous.)



In an interview that Marbles posted on her blog from themomsview, she talked about how she first got started making YouTube videos. She said that it started with a class assignment, and it grew from there. To some it might seem silly, but I find it to be quite inspiring.

The thought that someone can become such an inspiration is quite moving. She was just a normal college student making YouTube videos. Now, she has the power to influence millions of people. That just goes to show everyone how powerful social media can be.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that you posted about Jenna Marbles!The only problem is, your blog inspired me to watch a bunch of her videos instead of do my homework. I think that viral videos liker hers are amazing. She started out with a project similar to ours, and now she is famous and has millions of followers. Stories like hers definitely illustrate the power of the internet and social media!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen only one Jenna Marbles video and thought it was hilarious. Probably because she was making fun of Sarah Palin, who I do not like.

    But anyways, Sean Quigley is a Canadian musician that literally became famous over night. He made a youtube video that was a cover of "Little Drummer Boy" for a class assignment and it now has 2,115,797 views. Wow.

    Normal high school kid on Tuesday. Pop sensation on Wednesday. It is pretty inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE JENNA MARBLES! I wanted to be her for a short period of time, but then realized that I could never be that vulgar online (but hey, it works for her). I think this definitely shows the power of social media because she literally became a star and went viral within weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Ashley. About the social media thing, not loving Jenna Marbles. I do find her funny, but love is not the word I'd use. It's so true how fast someone can become a huge internet sensation just from using social media. This could happen to anyone!

    ReplyDelete